Great Backyard Bird Count Returns at Armco Park February 17
Written by Dianna Kenneally
LEBANON, OH -- On Saturday, February 17 the Warren County Park District will be hosting a Great Backyard Bird Count event at Armco Park’s Jones Pavilion.
Launched in 1998 by the Cornell Lab of Ornithology and National Audubon Society, the Great Backyard Bird Count was the first online participatory citizen science program to collect data on wild birds and to display results in near real-time. More than 300,000 people in more than 200 countries will submit bird observations online from February 16-February 19, 2024, to help scientists monitor and protect birds around the world.
In addition to helping scientists, participants at Armco Park will have the opportunity to learn more about Ohio’s native birds and how to feed them. Activities for the day include:
- All Day: bird walks, chat with experts, watch feeders, do indoor activities, explore the park.
- 9-10:30 am: bird walk with Connor Fox from Wild Bird Unlimited
- 10:30-noon: Suet-making workshop (please register to guarantee a spot)
- 1 pm: Submit official tally to birdcount.org.
Ohio birdwatchers are especially lucky because we live in a region that has a diversity of native, year-round bird species, from tiny black-capped chickadees to magnificent bald eagles. During harsh months when temperatures are extremely cold and food sources are covered in snow, feeding birds can increase their chances of survival. “While Ohio native birds have adapted to seeking out a variety of food sources during winter, they benefit from supplemental feeders set up in your backyard,” said Warren County Park District Naturalist Shannon Pennington. “Come join us to see our beautiful winter birds and learn more about backyard feeders and how to design your backyard to be more bird-friendly all year.”
The event sponsored by Wild Birds Unlimited and the Friends of Warren County Park District will be held from 8 am to 1 pm. The event is free and open to the public, suitable for all ages and for experienced and new bird watchers alike. The event will take place in the heated Jones Pavilion, so don’t let the weather stop you! Registration requested but not required. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
More News from Lebanon
- Carlisle Is Getting Ready To Cut Loose... Footloose Chamberlain Junior Drama Club will be presenting Footloose the weekend of March 8 - 10, 2024
- Chapter 33: The Wedding .... "Deceptions in the Air" Bringing Back 19th Century Entertainment...Fiction Story Telling "Deception in the Air"